Steven Chen, MD, MBA, FACS
Dr. Chen is a fellowship trained surgical oncologist focused on breast, endocrine, and melanoma surgery who comes to OasisMD from City of Hope in Los Angeles where he was an Associate Professor of Surgery. While there he was the Associate Director of the Surgical Oncology Training Program, training the next generation of surgical oncologists, as well as the Director of Surgical Oncology research. Previously, he was the Chief of Breast Surgery and the Chair of the Melanoma Tumor Board at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento.
Dr. Chen is a widely respected surgical oncologist who holds a Medical Degree and a Masters in Business Administration from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He completed his general surgery residency and critical care fellowship at the University of Michigan before completing a Surgical Oncology Fellowship at the John Wayne Cancer Institute in Santa Monica.
He is a Director of the American Society of Breast Surgeons, as well as having a role in accrediting other breast oncology training programs for the Society of Surgical Oncology. He has leadership positions in the American College of Surgeons, the American Medical Association, as well as the Association for Academic Surgery. He is a highly accomplished author with over 50 peer-reviewed publications in the literature and invited lectures all over the world.
Dr. Chen will be practicing in both the San Diego office as well as the Encinitas office. He is accepting new patients and expects to accept most insurances. He has particular interests in all aspects of breast, thyroid, parathyroid, and melanoma surgery. He offers the full gamut of surgery including lumpectomy, mastectomy, sentinel node biopsies, and methods to reduce the impact of surgery through oncoplastic surgery for lumpectomies, skin and/or nipple sparing mastectomies, and axillary reverse mapping for reducing swelling in the arm for those needing axillary node dissection. He utilizes minimal incision methods for thyroid and parathyroid surgery.
- American Medical Association
- California Medical Association
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Los Angeles County Medical Association
- John Wayne Cancer Institute Surgical Oncology Society
- Society of Surgical Oncology
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Breast Surgeons
- Association of Academic Surgeons
- Michigan State Medical Society
- Washtenaw County Medical Society
Licenses and Certifications
- Michigan Medical License
- American Board of Surgery Diplomate
- Basic Ultrasound Certification, American College of Surgeons
- Breast Ultrasound Certification, American College of Surgeons
- Head and Neck Ultrasound Course Certification, American College of Surgeons
- California Medical License # on request (current
- DEA # on request (current)
- Fluoroscopy Supervisor Permit (California), (current)
- Chief of Breast Surgery, UC Davis
- Chair of Melanoma Tumor Board, UC Davis
- Associate Program Director, Surgical Oncology Fellowship, City of Hope
- Director of Surgical Oncology Research, City of Hope
- California Breast Cancer Research Program Grant: Principal Investigator
- American College of Surgeons Health Policy Scholarship
- International Society of Gastrointestinal Oncology Travel Award
- Lynn Sage Breast Cancer Symposium Travel Award
- Carolyn Dirks Fellowship Award, John Wayne Cancer Institute
- MBA Merit Scholarship Achievement Award
- University of Michigan Medical Center Alumni Scholar Award
- American Medical Association/Glaxo Wellcome Achievement Award
- American Academy of Achievement Student Honoree at Golden Plate Awards
- Anthem Blue Cross
- Blue Cross / Blue Shield
- Blue Shield of California
- United Healthcare
University of Michigan Business School Ann Arbor, MI
University of Michigan B.A. Ann Arbor, MI
Economics and Biomedical Sciences, Honors Program
M.D., University of Michigan Medical School Ann Arbor, MI
University of Michigan Hospitals Ann Arbor, MI
General Surgery Intern
University of Michigan Hospitals Ann Arbor, MI
University of Michigan Hospitals Ann Arbor, MI
University of Michigan Hospitals Ann Arbor, MI
General Surgery Resident
John Wayne Cancer Institute Santa Monica, CA
Surgical Oncology Fellow
University of Michigan Hospital Ann Arbor, MI
Critical Care Fellow
Center for Health Economics
Peer Reviewed Publications:
1) Chen SL, Comstock M, Taheri PA. The Added Costs of Urgent Cholecystectomies to Health Systems. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 2003; 197: 16-21. 2) Dimick JB, Cowan JA,
Chen, SL. Emerging Approaches for Assessing and Improving The Quality of Surgical Care. Current Surgery; 2003; 60: 241-246.
3) Underwood W, Fletcher K, Chen, SL. How will Limiting Resident Work Hours Impact Surgical Training? Current Surgery, 2003; 60: 578-584.
4) Chen SL. Assessing Costs in Health Care. Current Surgery, 2003; 61: 155-160.
5) Calhoun JG, Vincent ET, Baker GR, Butler PW, Sinioris ME, Chen SL. Competency Identification and Modeling in Health Care Leadership. Journal of Health Administration Education 2004; 21: 419-440.
6) Dimick JB, Chen SL, Taheri PA, Henderson WG, Khuri SF, Campbell DA. Hospital Costs Associated with Surgical Complications: a Report from the Private-Sector National Surgical Quality Improvement Program. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 2004; 199: 531-537.
7) Chen SL, Clark S, Pierce LJ, Hayes DF, Helvie MA, Greeno PL, Newman LA, Chang AE. An Academic Health Center Cost Analysis of Screening Mammography: Creating a Financially Viable Service. Cancer, 2004; 101:1043-1050.
8) Wahl WL, Ahrns KS, Chen S, Hemmila MR, Rowe SA, Arbabi S. Blunt Splenic Injury: Operation Versus Angiographic Embolization. Surgery, 2004; 136:891-899.
9) Kim J, Mori T, Chen S, Amersi FF, Martinez SR, Kuo C, Turner R, Ye X, Bilchik AJ, Morton DL, Hoon DSB. Chemokine receptor CXCR4 expression by melanoma and colorectal cancer facilitates liver metastasis and correlates with disease outcome. Annals of Surgery; 2006; 244:113-120.
10) Kim J, Reber HA, Dry SM, Elashoff D, Chen SL, Umetani N, Kitago M, Hines OJ, Kazanjian KK, Hiramatsu S, Bilchik AJ, Yong S, Shoup M, Hoon DSB. Unfavorable prognosis associated with K-ras gene mutation in pancreatic cancer surgical margins. Gut, 2006; 55:1598-1605.
11) Chen SL, Iddings DM, Scheri RP, Bilchik AJ. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel node analysis: current concepts and applications. CA A Cancer Journal for Clinicians 2006; 56:292-309.
12) Chen SL, Bilchik AJ. More Extensive Nodal Dissection Improves Survival For Stages I to III of Colon Cancer: A Population Based Study. Annals of Surgery 2006; 244:602-610.
13) Ahmad A, Chen SL, Bilchik AJ. Radiofrequency Ablation for Hepatic Metastases from Colorectal Cancer: Are Newer Generation Probes Better? American Surgeon 2006 ; 72:875-879.
14) Martinez S, Chen SL, Bilchik AJ. Treatment disparities in Hispanic rectal cancer patients: a SEER database study. American Surgeon 2006; 72:906-908.
15) Ahmad A, SL Chen, Bilchik AJ. The Role of Repeat Hepatectomy in the Multimodal Treatment of Hepatic Colorectal Metastases. Archives of Surgery 2007; 142:526-532.
16) Chen SL, Bilchik AJ. Resecting Lymph Nodes in Colon Cancer: More Than a Staging Operation? Annals of Surgical Oncology 2007; 14:2175-2176.
17) Chen SL, Hoehne FM, Guiliano AE. The Prognostic Significance of Micrometastases in Breast Cancer: a Population-based Analysis. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2007; 14:3378-3384.
18) Bilchik AJ, Hoon DSB, Saha S, DiNome M, Turner R, Koyanagi K, McCarter M, Shen P, Iddings D, Chen SL, Gonzalez M, Elashoff D, Morton DL. Prognostic Impact of Micrometastases in Colon Cancer: Interim Results of a Prospective Multicenter Trial. Annals of Surgery 2007; 246:568-577.
19) Hoehne FM, Chen SL, Mabry HM, Giuliano AE. An Update on Prognosis in Breast Cancer Patients with Extensive Axillary Disease. The Breast Journal 2008; 14:76-80.
20) Leggett M, Chen SL, Schneider PD, Martinez SR. The Prognostic Value of Lymph Node Yield and Metastatic Lymph Node Ratio in Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2008; 15:2493-2499.
21) Chen SL, Martinez SR. The Survival Impact of the Choice of Surgical Procedure after Ipsilateral Breast Cancer Recurrence. American Journal of Surgery 2008; 196:495-599.
22) Beal SB, Chen SL, Schneider PD, Martinez SR. An Evaluation of Lymph Node Yield and Lymph Node Ratio in Well-Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma. American Surgeon 2010; 76:28-32.
23) Vanderveen KA, Chen SL, Yin D, Cress RD, Bold RJ. Benefit of postoperative adjuvant therapy for pancreatic cancer: a population-based analysis. Cancer 2009; 115:2420-2429.
24) London JA, Utter GH, Sena MJ, Chen SL, Romano PS. Lack of Insurance is Associated with Increased Risk for Hernia Complications. Annals of Surgery, 2009; 250:331-337.
25) Beal SH, Chen SL, Canter R, Chen A, Khatri V, Bold RJ, Martinez SR. Disparities in the Use of Radiation Therapy in Patients with Local-Regionally Advanced Breast Cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, 2010; 78:787-792.
26) Coates JM, Beal SH, Russo JE, Vanderveen KA, Chen SL, Bold RJ, Canter RJ. Negligible Effect of Selective Preoperative Biliary Drainage on Perioperative Resuscitation, Morbidity, and Mortality in Patients Undergoing Pancreaticoduodenectomy. Archives of Surgery, 2009; 144:841-847.
27) Iddings DM, Fleisig AJ, Chen SL, Faries MB, Morton DL. Practice Patterns and Outcomes for Anorectal Melanoma in the USA. Reviewing Three Decades of Treatment: Is More Extensive Surgical Resection Beneficial in All Patients? Annals of Surgical Oncology, 2010, 17:40-44.
28) Beal SH, Martinez SR, Canter RJ, Chen SL, Khatri VP, Bold RJ. Survival in 12,653 breast cancer patients with axillary lymph node metastasis in the anthracycline era. Medical Oncology, 2010’ 27:1420-1424.
29) Martinez SR, Beal SH, Chen A, Chen SL, Schneider PD. Adjuvant External Beam Radiation for Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma. Journal of Surgical Oncology, 2010; 102:175-178.
30) Vo DM, Gauvin JM, Chen SL. Endoscopy Education in General Surgery Residencies: Meeting the New RRC Requirements. Journal of Surgical Research, 2010 163:210-213.
31) Martinez SR, Beal SH, Canter RJ, Chen SL, Khatri VP, Bold RJ. Medullary Carcinoma of the Breast: A Population Based Perspective. Medical Oncology, 2010 Apr 14 ePub ahead of print
32) Coates JM, Martinez SR, Bold RJ, Chen SL. Adjuvant Radiation Therapy is Associated with Improved survival for Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma of the Breast. Journal of Surgical Oncology 2010; 102:342-347.
33) Cooke DT, Nguyen DV, Yang Y, Chen SL, Calhoun RF. Survival Comparison o
f Adenosquamous, Squamous Cell, and Adenocarcinoma of the Lung after Lobectomy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2010; 90: 943-948.
34) Tseng WH, Stevenson TR, Canter RJ, Chen SL, Khatri VP, Bold RJ, Martinez SR. Sacramento Area Breast Cancer Epidemiology Study (SABES): Use of Post-Mastectomy Breast Reconstruction along the Rural to Urban Continuum. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2010; 126:1815-24.
35) Chen SL, Steele SR, Eberhardt J, Zhu K, Bilchik AJ, Stojadinovic A. Lymph Node Ratio as a Quality and Prognostic Indicator in Stage III Colon Cancer. Annals of Surgery, 2011; 253:82-87
36) Tseng WH, Martinez SR, Tamurian RM, Chen SL, Bold RJ, Canter RJ. Contiguous organ resection is safe in patients with retroperitoneal sarcoma: An ACS-NSQIP analysis. Journal of Surgical Oncology, 2011; 103:390-394.
37) Kim J, Artinyan A, Mailey B, Christopher S, Lee W, McKenzie S, Chen SL, Bhatia S, Pigazzi A, Garcia-Aguilar J. An Interaction of Race and Ethnicity with Socioeconomic Status in Rectal Cancer Outcomes. Annals of Surgery 2011; 253:647-654
38) Tseng WH, Jin L, Canter RJ, Martinez SR, Khatri VP, Bold RJ, Gauvin J, Wisner D, Taylor S, Chen SL. An Evaluation of Surgical Resident Involvement on Operative Time and Perioperative Morbidity and Mortality: Insight into the Impact of Surgical Education. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 2011; 213: 19-26.
39) Steele SR, Chen SL, Stojadinovic A, Nissan A, Zhu K, Peoples GE, Bilchik A. The Impact of Age on Quality Measure Adherence in Colon Cancer. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2011; 213:95-103.
40) Tseng WH, Yang X, Wang H, Martinez SR, Chen SL, Meyers FJ, Bold RJ, Canter RJ. Nomogram to predict risk of 30-day morbidity and mortality for patients with disseminated malignancy undergoing surgical intervention. Annals of Surgery, 2011; 254:333-338.
41) Garcia MS, Ono Y, Martinez SR, Chen SL, Goodarzi H, Phan T, Wehrli LN, Miyamura Y, Fung MA, Maverakis E. Complete regression of subcutaneous and cutaneous metastatic melanoma with high dose intralesional interleukin 2 in combination with topical imiquimod and retinoid cream. Melanoma Research 2011; 21: 235-243.
42) Martinez, SR, Tseng WH, Canter RJ, Chen AM, Chen SL, Bold RJ. Do Racial Disparities in Radiation Therapy Use Influence Survival in Patients with Advanced Breast Cancer? Cancer 2012; 118:196-204
43) Wasif N, Tamurian RM, Christensen S, Do L, Martinez SR, Chen SL, Canter RJ. Influence of specialty and clinical experience on treatment sequencing in the multimodal management of soft tissue extremity sarcoma. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2012 Feb;19:504-10
44) Fowble BL, Einck JP, Kim DN, McCloskey S, Mayadev J, Yashar C, Chen SL, Hwang ES. Role of Postmastectomy Radiation after Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Stage II-III Breast Cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology and Physics. 2012; 83:494-503.
45) Li B, Chen M, Nori D, Chao KS, Chen AM, Chen SL. Adjuvant Radiation Therapy and Survival for Pure Tubular Breast Carcinoma-Experience From the SEER Database. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology and Physics. 2012; 84:23-29.
46) Kruper L, Xu XX, Henderson K, Bernstein L, Chen SL. Utilization of mastectomy and reconstruction in the outpatient setting. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2013; 20:828-835.
47) Nazerali RS, Tan C, Fung MA, Chen SL, Wong MS. Hidradenocarcinoma of the Finger. Annals of Plastic Surgery 2013; 70:423-426.
48) Arrington AK, Nelson R, Chen SL, Ellenhorn JD, Garcia-Aguilar J, Kim J. The Evolution of surgical technique for total gastrectomy over a 12 year period: a single institution’s experience. American Surgeon 2012; 78:1054-1058.
49) Fenton JJ, Xing G, Elmore JG, Bang H, Chen SL, Lindfors KK, Baldwin LM. Short-Term Outcomes of Screening Ammography Using Computer Aided Detection: A Population Based Study of Medicare Enrollees. Annals of Internal Medicine 2013: 158:580-587.
50) Luu C, Streja L, Goldner BS, Schoelhammer HF, Chen SL. Trends in Radiation Therapy After Breast-Conserving Surgery in Elderly Patients With Early-Stage Breast Cancer. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2013; 20:3266-3273.
51) Arrington AK, Kruper L, Vito C, Yim JH, Chen SL. Rural and Urban Disparities in the Evolution of Sentinel Lymph Node Utilization in Breast Cancer. American Journal of Surgery 2013; 206:674-681.
52) Goldner BS, Behrendt C, Schoellhammer HF, Lee B, Schoellhammer HF, Chen SL. Incidence of Inflammatory Breast Cancer in Women, 1992-2009, United States. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2014; 21(4) 1267-1270.
53) Merchant SJ, Chen SL. The Exportability of the ACOSOG Z0011 Criteria for Omitting Axillary Lymph Node Dissection After Positive Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy Findings: A Multicenter Study. (commentary). Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 2014; 25: 60-61.
54) Arrington AK, Goldstein L, Kruper L, Vito C, Yim J, Chen SL. Life Expectancy after Curative-intent Treatment of Breast Cancer: Impact on Long-term Follow-up Care. American Surgeon 2014; 80:604-609.
55) Miller M, Otteson RA, Niland JC, Kruper L, Chen SL, Vito C. Tumor Response Ratio Predicts Overall Survival in Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2014; 21:3317-3323
56) Kauffmann R, Chen SL. Workup and Staging of Melanoma. Surgical Clinics of North America 2014; 94: 963-972.
57) Merchant S, Chen SL. Prevention and Management of Lymphedema after Breast Cancer Treatment. Breast Journal (accepted).