Improved sleep can be obtained by implementing a healthy sleep regimen. This includes:
- going to bed and getting up at the same time every day
- making sure that the sleeping environment is conducive to sleep (i.e. quiet, free from distractions, a comfortable room temperature, a supportive bed);
- avoiding caffeine, sugar, and alcohol before bed
- doing some type of light exercise during the day
- avoiding eating immediately before bedtime
- practicing relaxation exercises as you fall to sleep
When necessary, there are new sleep medications that can be prescribed, some of which can be especially helpful if the patient's sleep is disturbed by restless legs or periodic limb movement disorder.